3 min read
Having online presence for a business has become mandatory now. Even small and medium scale businesses have their websites hosted on the internet to reach out to more numbers of targeted audiences. But the website needs proper online marketing strategies to rank in top search results. To understand whether the marketing strategies are running fine, various kinds of web analytic tools and features are available so that the smallest of details can be measured and calculated. There are many aspects that web marketers ignore, but there is one thing they cannot overlook – bounce rates.
What is bounce rate actually?
To put it in web marketers’ dictum, bounce rate is the calculation of the percentage of single page sessions. This means that if a person leaves the site right from the entrance page without interacting with the other pages, it is bouncing away from the site. Many people confuse between ‘exit from site’ and ‘bouncing from site’. Also, there is no connection of bounce rate of a webpage/website with time spent on the site/webpage.
Higher percentage of bounce rate clearly implies that the landing page of the site is not relevant to the requirements of the visitors. And in that case, there are no chances of leads, conversions or sales from the site. Therefore reducing bounce rates is a prerequisite for any business. Online marketers and companies offering SEO services offer useful suggestions for reducing bounce rates.
10 tips that can help in reducing the bounce rates from websites
- Work on landing pages so that queries of the visitors can be met with successfully. Your website might be obtaining right traffic, but the flaw in the landing page might be taking away the advantage. Provide information that the visitor is seeking and he will be at the website forever.
- Slow loading website/webpage will lead to high bounce rate. Though your site might have the required information, but the long loading time will take visitors off from the site for sure. And this stands applicable for desktops and mobiles. Make sure that the website/webpage loads quickly.
- Avoiding clickbaits is important for keeping bounce rates low. This has become quite common now and is being seen frequently in various news publishing websites. Usually the news headlines are catchy but the content is trash leading to high bounce rates.
- Attractive, interesting and interactive web design is what works for the visitors. Bad design of the website is one of the main reasons for higher bounce rates. The web design should contain a perfect balance of data (text, images, video, graphical presentations etc) along with have a professional look and feel.
- Mobile optimisation is very important to reduce bounce rates from websites and web-pages. This is important as now more numbers of people are accessing websites on mobiles. Without getting the mobile version, people might bounce to other sites. Custom web development companies are working hard in this arena.
- Great attention needs to be paid to the presentation of content on the website for decreasing bounce rates. Long paragraphs are strict no-no. Use subheads, bullets or other methods to make the content look readable. Present the content in a manner so that it takes less time to read but keeps the visitor engaged and compels him to come back to the site again.
- Make the visitor want to navigate through your site even after getting the required information from the main landing page. You must provide further interesting options so that the visitor continues browsing the site.
- Navigation system in the website should be smooth and easy. It must not take long for searching as how to go to a particular section in the site. Difficulty in navigation is one of the main reasons for higher bounce rates.
- Internal linking has proved to be effective for reducing those bounce rates greatly. Usually such links are of similar or relevant articles which visitors are reading. So in a way it is a mode of keeping the visitor on the site without letting him go to other sites.
- Call to action tabs on landing pages is a must. In case the visitor likes the site and wants to buy something or do something, the landing page should provide all the support for that in the form of effective and prominent call to action tabs.
Try these and reduce the bounce rates from your website/webpage successfully.