Do you need a social media jump-start? Are your posts falling flat, or are you struggling to come up with new and interesting things to say?
Check out my 21 social media conversation starters you can use to get your fans and followers to start talking!
1. Request Feedback Ask for feedback on your products, services or website. Example: “Are there any products you wish we would carry?”.
2. Be Funny Jokes, memes, funny stories and humorous videos all grab attention and encourage your followers to be part of the conversation.
3. Give the Inside Scoop Your social media fans will appreciate being let in on a little-known fact or a behind-the-scenes story. Example: “Did you know that our CEO recently learned to ride a bike…at the age of 53!”.
4. Share a Personal Story Showing your personal side is one of the best ways to get people to share their own personal experiences!
5. Cite an Industry Statistic Sharing a relevant statistic shows you’re on top of the latest research in your niche; and these types of posts are great for getting shares and retweets.
6. An Unexpected Photo Funny, controversial or unexpected images are great for getting likes, comments, shares and retweets. Just be careful not to cross the line: think unexpected, NOT crude!
7. A Quote Funny, inspirational, and motivational all work well to elicit comments and shares. This is especially true for image quotes. Websites like PostPlanner are great for sourcing content when you need a few ideas!
8. Breaking News Keep in mind that you may be the only business or person in your industry that some of your fans are following. Share breaking industry news as it happens.
9. Polls or Surveys Asking your fans to participate in a survey or poll not only gets them talking, it gets them invested in finding out the results. This is great for getting people to contribute their answer, and then coming back to see what others have to say.
10. Your Opinion on a Topic Your social media fans and followers love knowing you’re a real person with real opinions. Share your opinion on a hot topic, and ask your fans to share theirs.
11. Share a Blog Comment Sharing a particularly interesting or controversial blog comment can really get a conversation going. Bonus: It can also mean increased traffic to your blog!
12. ‘What would you do’ Questions Share an experience and then ask your followers what they would in that situation.
13. Share a Relevant Infographic Your audience will not only love industry infographics, but will love to share them with THEIR audience as well!
14. Request Help for a Fan or follower If you have received a particularly interesting question from a fan, why not crowdsource it and ask your audience for help? Example: “One of our fans has a question: What’s the best way to wash a cast iron pan?”.
15. Before and After Pictures People LOVE before and after pictures. Share your own, or ask yourfans to contribute theirs.
16. Ask for a Recommendation Give your social media fans a chance to recommend a favorite product or service provider. Example: “I’m looking for someone to help with my website redesign…any suggestions?”.
17. A Useful Tip Share a tip you’ve learned that your audience would find useful. Example: “Did you know the best way to increase engagement on Facebook is through images?”.
18. Fill in the Blank An oldie but a goodie. Make a statement but let your fans fill in the blank. Example: “My favorite free tool for keyword research is ___________”.
19. Ask for Help with a Problem Your followers will love helping you solve a problem by offering advice or opinions. Example: “Our restaurant is having trouble deciding on a new entrée for our menu. Any ideas?”.
20. Favorite Memory Share your own favorite memory, or ask your fans to share theirs!
21. Ask a Random Question Believe it or not, some of my most popular posts and tweets have been when I asked a completely random question. Example: “Are you a morning person or a night owl?”.
Now that you have a list of 21 social media conversation starters, it’s time to engage with your fans and followers!
What would you add to this list? What are your best social media conversation starters? Add yours below!